- 12 ounces butter (3 sticks)
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon anise extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 8 ounces chopped almonds
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- More semi-sweet chocolate chips to melt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F ( 165 degrees C ).
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Add eggs one at a time; beat until fluffy. Stir in the anise and vanilla extracts. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt; Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture along with the chopped almonds and chocolate chips. Stir with a spoon and as the dough comes together, Knead by hand. (Hint, you will want to flour the counter and your hands well, the dough is a bit sticky.)
- Divide the dough into 4 parts. Roll each piece into a log about 15 inches long. Place logs onto cookie sheets, 2 to a sheet, the long way. Flatten the logs out until they are about 3 inches wide with a slight hump going down the middle. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, loaves should be firm. Cut the loaves into diagonal slices 1/2 inch wide, place the slices onto the cookie sheets and return to the oven. Toast on one side, then turn them over to do the other side. This will take about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Once the cookies have cooled melt some semi-sweet chocolate chips and use a butter knife to put a generous layer of dark chocolate on the bottom of the cookie, let cool, and enjoy.
Recipe adapted from http://family.go.com/food/recipe-ar-15598-italian-biscotti-t/